Liverpool City Centre (page 5)

The Royal Court Theatre and A. Brown & Son, greengrocers in Queen Square before the "improvements", 1962 The interesting sweep of Victorian buildings on Saint George's Crescent, including the Washington Hotel, in 1957 New Shakespeare Theatre exterior with posters for 'A view from the bridge', Fraser Street, in 1957 The Waterfront in all its soot-blackened majesty, as seen from a ferry-boat in 1954 Saint Lukes Place and the top end of Bold Street at night, with the Boldemere Boxing Club, in 1948
Gerard Gardens - the "Bullring" in 1950. The sound of those metal rings on the swings used to echo around the landings! A new concrete Bus Shelter in the centre of town in 1952. According to the adverts, "Double Ace" cigarettes were 1/3d for 10 Mount Vernon Street, with a line-up of S.G.B. (Scaffolding Great Britain) vans, and the "Lybro" factory in the background, in 1948 A very black-looking North Western Hotel on Lime Street in 1948. Photograph taken from the steps of Saint Georges Hall North Western Hotel and Lime Street Station entrance in 1948. The Shakespeare Theatre of Varieties poster is offering Max Geldray!
Clayton Square and Elliot Street in 1963. The corner of Owen Owens is still there, but everything else has gone. The old Market Hall looms in the distance Lime Street and Elliot Street in 1963, just before the remaining tram-lines and cobblestones were finally obliterated by tarmac Strand and one end of The Goree in 1957. A small relic of the recently demolished Overhead Railway is still visible on the right Church Street and Paradise Street in 1960. The lack of traffic is the first thing you notice, - people are ambling across the roads! The floating crane "Birkett" loading a bus being shipped to the Isle of Man, at the Pierhead in 1948
Go to Page:
The Royal Liver Building and probably one of the last photographs of the Overhead Railway, before it was demolished in 1957 St. Andrews Gardens in 1947. A photograph taken to show the contrast between the old lodging houses and the new flats Aerial shot of Saint George's Hall, with Lime Street Station and the surrounding area, in the 1930s Castle Street looking up towards the Town Hall in 1951. The tram-lines were still in use, but only for another 8 years