Liverpool City Centre (page 4)

Whitechapel, with the General Post Office yard, in 1958. The "Health Food Stores" in the distance were Dale Street & the entrance to Queensway Tunnel in 1960. Incredibly, there are more than 20 buses in this photograph Queueing around the block for a Bunney's Sale at "Holy Corner" - Whitechapel and Church Street, in 1956 Looking up London Road in 1956, with T.J.Hughes on the left, and the roadway still dominated by the tramlines The corner of Vauxhall Road and Marlborough Street in 1959. The petrol station on the left was still exactly the same 50 years later!
A different view of Bunney's at "Holy Corner" in 1956, showing more of the surrounding area The Waterfront seen from the air in, just after WW2 in 1946. All the Docks are chock-full of shipping Aerial view of the Anglican Cathedral and across the City, in 1946. New Brighton can be seen in the distance Saint George's Hall & Lime Street in 1880. The streets seem twice as wide as now - if the "planners" had their way they'd be even narrower! Langdon & Sons on the corner of Duke Street and Nelson Street in 1961. Now very much part of Liverpool's Chinatown
An early Drive-in Bank on Princes Road in 1959. What numpty thought that would be a good idea? The cashier at a window in the Drive-in Bank on Princes Road in 1959. What could possibly go wrong?!! Liverpool's own "Flatiron Building"! on the corner of Whitechapel and Victoria Street in 1951 A display on the British Home Stores in Church Street for the Liverpool Festival in July, 1951 "London & Globe" building on the corner of Dale Street and Exchange Street East, in 1948
Go to Page:
Covered walkways at the Pierhead in 1951 were the best place to wait for your Ferry when the weather wasn't too good Kirby's Showroom on Renshaw Street in 1962. That Sunbeam Rapier Convertible was only �1087.13/11d Saint George's Crescent at night, with the Washington Hotel and the well-remembered neon advertisements, in 1957 Entrance of the old Central Station on Ranelagh Street, with the familiar "Mother's Pride" hoarding, in 1947