New Shakespeare Theatre, Fraser Street, Liverpool, in 1957 Catalogue No.261
Since its opening in 1888, the Shakespeare Theatre on Fraser Street in Liverpool had been through a few changes by the time this photo was taken in 1957.
It was originally used for light operas and revues and as a Music Hall, but between the Wars it fell into disuse until it re-opened as the "Pigalle" - a dance and cabaret club. The Pigalle Theatre Club struggled on until 1957, when the American film director and actor Sam Wanamaker (father of Zo�) was appointed Director of the Theatre and renamed it the "New Shakespeare" with the aim of producing 'legitimate' theatre there.
In 1963 the theatre became a Dance Hall, then in the late 60s it became a Cabaret Club, with local personality and DJ Pete Price as the compere.
The "Shakey", as it was generally known, continued on-and-off until 1976, when a mysterious fire led to its demolition, - like so many good old buildings in Liverpool.